Newton Jibuno undertakes final expedition

“The proposed expedition by the environmentalist will be by road, traversing the Sahara Desert.”

Renowned environmentalist, Newton Jibuno, will at the end of the year, undertake his fourth and last expedition to fast track support for climate change campaign.

The proposed expedition, like the previous ones, would be undertaken on road, traversing the Sahara Desert, Jibuno said on Tuesday in Asaba.

Newton Jibunoh

Newton Jibunoh speaks on his mission on February 11, 2008 in Lagos

In a goodwill message to the 2ndedition of States Climate Change Dialogue (SCCD) hosted by Delta State Government, he said that he would be accompanied on the global journey by his 32-year-old youngest child and his 13-year-old grandson.

He did not state the duration of the expedition and the places he would visit.

On environmental issues, Jibuno lamented that the world’s landscape had been grossly degraded and cautioned that if the situation was not checked, it could lead to “disappearance of the planet”.

He charged participants at the summit to establish measures which could be adopted by various governments, especially in the coastal states, in shoring up the environment.

He suggested that the summit should focus more on ways to prepare for climate change conditions and measures to mitigate its impact.

The Delta State governor, Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan, who also spoke at the occasion, said the climate change dialogue was a wake-up call for states in the country to address environmental issues.

He admitted that recent cases of flooding in the country had lowered the esteem and integrity of many state governors and said that the development had forced states into adopting strategies to combat the menace.

The governor said Delta had stepped up waste management process to ensure that wastes did not block drainages and that the state had also constituted a task force to rid cities of illegal structures.

He said that many illegal structures had been discovered in major cities in the state and announced that government officials who approved such buildings would be severely sanctioned.

Newton Jibuno

Newton Jibuno

Henceforth any official who approved an illegal building would be sacked, he warned.

-By Nkechi Opurum

Source: DailyTimes 

______________

RELATED:


Get more trends like this

Subscribe to our mailing list and get latest Nigeria trends in your inbox.

No Responses

Get more trends like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get latest Nigeria trends in your inbox.